Friday, June 10, 2011

Week Three (3)

Wow, well this week has just flown by. I can't believe I've already been here three weeks. Will someone please check my math on that... This week was more of the same. Planning and getting ready for our missions conference on July 16 and for our sports camp that runs through the first week of July. If you haven't heard the story of me calling the tent rental places, then I will share. If you've heard it, hear it again. I called one of the local party rental places to price tents for our Sunday service to kick off of the sports camp at the downtown campus. Well I had been talking to one lady for a few minutes and she just stops me and says, "You are planning this event in Baltimore, right? Because with your accent I couldn't tell. We had a lady call from North Carolina the other day wanting a tent, and I just wanted to be sure..." So I started laughing, and she chuckled an embarrassed laugh when I explained that I was from Tennessee, but was here for the summer. I've had a few conversations about my accent, the kids like to make fun of me too. But all in all, I'm fitting in pretty well.

Speaking of the kids, I think I've fallen in love. I was able to teach the kids Wednesday night, and boy was that fun! No, really. It was awesome! Attendance was a little low, which helped keep them calmer, but it was great. I gotta say I stole a page from the YOKE handbook and led them in a fun song that allowed them to get all their energy out before I started talking. IT WORKED! They all sat down and said, "I'm tired!" I nodded my head and assured them that was what I was counting on. I got to talk to them about obedience for a few minutes until they got their energy back. We talked about Abraham and Isaac, and how God asked Abe to sacrifice his promised son. This was something hard, but Abraham was willing to obey, and even though it was just a test, Abraham showed himself obedient, and God showed Himself faithful. So I told the kids God asks us to do some pretty hard things too, like love our enemies and forgive those who have wronged us. So then we prayed and played games for the remaining time.

You can keep praying for both the sports camp the first week of July. That is when the group from First Baptist will be here, so you should already be praying for them anyway. Double Jeopardy; what is "two reasons you should be praying for the week of July 3-7?" Also, keep the missions conference in your prayers. Our goal is the make Infinity Church aware of the need to preach the Gospel, and to share with them practical ways they can share the Gospel from day to day, and also to present them with upcoming opportunities to serve on the mission field. Including a trip to Knoxville in August. Thanks so much for your prayers and encouragement. Keep it up!

To God be the Glory

No comments:

Post a Comment